Valley County Prosecutor’s Office – Civil Deputy Prosecutor
$6,066.67 per month, depending on experience
Job Posted On:
September 21, 2023
October 10, 2023
The Valley County Prosecutor’s Office is seeking a full-time Civil Deputy Prosecuting Attorney.
- The Civil Deputy Prosecutor performs general legal work in the civil arena including contracts and procurement, personnel, risk management, property tax issues, public records and open meeting laws, elections, and administrative appeals. Strong legal research, drafting, and communication skills are essential. Position may also include child-protection cases, conservator-guardianship cases, and involuntary mental holds. This position works closely with the elected prosecutor, office attorneys and staff, Valley County elected officials, and department heads. Applicants must be a member in good standing of the Idaho State Bar.
- Reviews and drafts contracts, grant applications, and other procurement related documents to determine adherence with Idaho State law and Valley County policy;
- Researches and analyzes applicable statutes and case law as it applies to contracts and procurement, and maintains a good working knowledge of Idaho statutes and case law;
- Advises the Board of County Commissioners, Valley County department heads, and elected officials on contract and procurement matters, as well as providing general legal education/training to such departments and offices as necessary;
- Reviews responses to public records requests and advises the Board of County Commissioners, Valley County Department Heads, and elected officials on proper procedures for handling and responding to public records requests, and conducts training related to Idaho Public Records law;
- Initiates investigations into Open Meeting Law complaints related to other units of government within Valley County and prepares a response for the Prosecutor’s consideration;
- Advises the Board of County Commissioners, Valley County department heads, and elected officials on Open Meetings law requirements as well as providing general legal education/training to such departments and offices as necessary;
- Maintains a positive, professional, and courteous attitude with others;
- Reviews, interprets, and applies law, court decisions, and other legal authorities to prepare cases and legal documents;
- Reviews documents prepared by legal staff to ensure local rules, proper legal principles, and court procedures are followed;
- Drafts legal documents;
- Maintains communication and effective working relationships with Valley County personnel, court personnel, attorneys, witnesses, and the public;
- Appears on behalf of the State of Idaho on child protection cases, involuntary mental holds, conservator/guardianships, and other civil matters.
- Regular on-call duties, including twenty-four-hour availability to respond to emergencies;
- Operates standard office equipment including job-related software applications;
- Performs time management and scheduling functions, meets deadlines, and sets priorities;
- Responds to job-related emails, questions, and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with County policies, procedures, and safety practices;
- Maintains strict confidentiality in all cases;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, bend, use hands to keyboard or type, handle materials and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing abilities includes those which permit the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively in person and by telephone. While performing the duties of this position, the employee works in an office setting where the noise level is usually moderate.
As a way of assisting our employees to live healthier, happier, and less worrisome lives, Valley County offers the best benefit package of any employer in the county.
Our benefits include:
- Retirement Membership in PERSI
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Prescription Drug Insurance
- Personal Leave (22 days per year to start)
- Holiday Leave (11 days per year)
- Bereavement Leave
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
And don’t forget about these benefits:
- A Positive Work/Life Balance
- Job Stability & Satisfaction
- Career Advancement
- A Casual Work Environment
- Physically Relaxed
- Mentally Stimulating
- A Chance to Make a Difference!
- Graduate of an accredited Law School with a Juris Doctorate degree;
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Idaho as a member of the Idaho State Bar;
- Good working knowledge of constitutional law, Idaho state law related to civil matters governing county governance and operations, civil procedures, rules of evidence, and prosecutorial ethics;
- Knowledge of local judicial procedures, terminology, methods, documents, and practices;
- Effective researching skills;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Intermediate computer skills:
- Ability to clearly articulate a case orally and in writing;
- Ability to analyze, appraise, and organize facts, evidence, and precedent;
- Ability to appear without assistance in court and other judicial proceedings and present evidence, arguments, testimony, and witnesses before a judge or jury;
- Strong documentation skills;
- Ability to work independently and exercise initiative, with general guidance and supervision;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaborate as part of a team, exercise good judgment, and communicate effectively and persuasively both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor even under duress;
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines;
- Ability to demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times.
How To Apply:
When applying, please include a resume or detailed work history that shows your relevant education, training, and experience.
You can view and apply for this position by clicking here.