Jerome County Prosecutor’s Office – Deputy Prosecuting Attorney
$65,000 - $75,000 Annually
Job Posted On:
September 1, 2021
Open Until Filled
Under limited supervision this position conducts prosecution in court proceedings on behalf of Jerome County government and is responsible for handling legal matters in the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney including the processing, preparation and prosecution of misdemeanor and juvenile cases, the investigation, initiation and handling of complaints.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interviews and advises victims and witnesses regarding significant prospective criminal complaints;
- Reviews police reports and issues criminal complaints in appropriate cases upon request of law enforcement agencies and the general public; Reviews police reports and requests for misdemeanor complaints and juvenile petitions and decides on whether sufficient evidence has been uncovered to prosecutes the case at the misdemeanor/juvenile level;
- Studies, interprets, and applies laws, court decisions and other legal authorities in the preparation of cases, opinions, petitions, motions, legal briefs and other legal documents;
- Performs a wide variety of legal research and prepares briefs in connection with cases;
- Reviews all misdemeanor files, evaluates them for disposition and ensures that cases calendared are thoroughly prepared for hearing;
- Initiates case files including the preparation of witness roster, listing of testimony to be given by each witness, evaluation of the case relative to problem areas that may be encountered and the outcome of the case both legally and factually;
- Writes correspondence and reports.
- Maintains a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and working relationship with the department supervisor and departmental employees, other County employees, and Elected Officials.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Juris-doctorate degree from an accredited law school and a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have successfully passed the Idaho State Bar examination and be licensed to practice as an attorney in the State of Idaho.
- Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check and a mandatory pre-employment drug test.
- Must be able to work as required including evenings, weekends and on-call.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment and subsequent drug tests.
How To Apply:
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Position #2022-0002 http://[email protected] [co.jerome.id.gov]
OR MAIL TO/DROPPED OFF AT:
The Office of the Jerome County Prosecutor
233 West Main
Jerome, Idaho 33333
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. For this application we require a cover letter as well as resume. Please verify that you have attached a cover letter and resume prior to submitting this application. ☐ Yes ☐ No
* 2. Have you successfully passed the Idaho State Bar examination and are you licensed to practice as an attorney in the State of Idaho? ☐ Yes ☐ No
* 3. Do you have a juris-doctorate degree from an accredited law school and a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university? ☐ Yes ☐ No